Thursday, March 22, 2012

Taking a jacket and tee from fun to fabulous



Most of my fashion ingenuity is focused on upcycling sweaters into new creations better than ever before.  But occasionally I come across a jacket, skirt or tee that just calls to me with possibilities.  Two such garments grabbed me this week, and I decided to share them as I hibernate from the pollen haze that has attacked the ATL.  (I put my life-and sinuses-in jeopardy just by dashing outside to snap some quick photos.)




The first was a cute tee shirt that reminded me of an English Garden.  What made it so cool was that the back, sleeves and front were all out of different, but complimentary, patterns. It was also made of a heavier weight t-shirt material that might make a better bolero.












So, with a quick cut of the trusty sewing shears, I had a better shape.  Some fun pinky-purple striped trim (from another tshirt cut up long ago) was just what it needed to take it from English frump to British funk.














The second took some courage to cut as it was quite cute before I started.  I began with a lined  t-shirt blazer that was a cute blackish-navy and cream stripe.  Great basic pieces with tons of potential.  Drawing on my reservoir of courage, I cut the lower 1/2 of it off and started rummaging around the studio for something to take it from good to great.  Enter some black and cream polka dotted material- very soft and pliable.  By doubling a row of it, I was able to pleat it around the bottom to create a new, fresh take on the original jacket.  A row of red rayon trim- stitched on the edge to give it a slight curl- made it nearly complete.  Finally, a fun polka dotted rosette (stolen from my daugher- don't tell!) completes my new look.  It's called Peppy and will be rocking my Etsy site shortly. (www.echoclothingcompany.etsy.com)





No comments:

Post a Comment